On the first day of the 37th Kagyu Monlam Chenmo, before sunrise, HE Goshir Gyaltsab Rinpoche took his seat at the Monlam Pavillion to give the Sojong vows. He then left to make offerings on behalf of the Monlam at the Mahabodhi Temple. Before returning to the Monlam Pavillion to teach on 72 Exhortations by Kharak Gomchung, he paid his respects at the Great Nyingma Monlam, which was taking place in the Mahabodhi Stupa grounds, under the bodhi tree.
1. HE Goshir Gyaltsab Rinpoche arrives at the Mahabodhi Temple complex and is greeted by Mr N.T. Dorje, Secretary of the Bodhgaya Temple Management Committee.
2. Mr N.T. Dorje escorts Gyaltsab Rinpoche down to the main shrine room.
3. Gyaltsab Rinpoche looks up. Above the shrine room, the great stupa tower rises, its golden cap reflecting the morning sun, and dominates the complex and the surrounding area.
4. Inside the main shrine room, Gyaltsab Rinpoche offers a set of golden, silk robes to the Buddha. This is the first of the offerings. A new set of robes will be offered each day during the Kagyu Monlam.
5. Rinpoche offers seven bowls filled to the brim with traditional offerings: flowers, rice, dried fruit, fresh fruit and sweets.
6. The offering bowls and golden robes for the Buddha.
7. The monk attendant drapes the new robes over the Buddha.
8. Prayers to the Buddha requesting blessings for the health and happiness of all sentient beings.
9. Gyaltsab Rinpoche walks behind the stupa to the Great Ngakgyur Nyingma Monlam
10. Rinpoche greets Minling Khenchen Rinpoche, the abbot of Mindroling Monastery and president of Nyingma Monlam Chenmo International Foundation.
11. He pays his respects at the Nyingma Monlam shrine.
12. Rinpoche offers a kata and an offering envelope.
13. Walking past members of the Nyingma Monlam.
14. Circumambulating the stupa on the innermost kora.
15. Gyaltsab Rinpoche greets Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche who is presiding over the special shaded seating set up for Ngakgyur Nyingma nuns.
16. Gyaltsab Rinpoche leaves the stupa to return to the Monlam Pavillion where he will give the first teaching on 72 Exhortations.